Cardene (Nicardipine) – What You Should Know
Brand Name: Cardene
Generic Name: Nicardipine
What is Cardene (Nicardipine)?
The Information about Cardene (Nicardipine) contained herein is a compilation of materials available from drugs.com and simplified for the average consumer.
Calcium channel blockers prevent calcium from entering cells of the heart and blood vessel walls, resulting in lower blood pressure. Calcium channel blockers, also called calcium antagonists, relax and widen blood vessels by affecting the muscle cells in the arterial walls.
Nicardipine also known by the brand name Cardene is an calcium channel blocker. Some calcium channel blockers have the added benefit of slowing your heart rate, which can further reduce blood pressure, relieve chest pain (angina) and control an irregular heartbeat.
There are drug free alternatives to lowering your blood pressure that may be effective for you. Read about them here.
How to use Cardene (Nicardipine)
- Cardene (Nicardipine) is usually given as an injection by your health care provider. If you will be using it at home, your health care provider will teach you the proper way to use it. Follow all procedures you were taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Do not use Cardene (Nicardipine) if you see any particles, or if it is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Keep Cardene (Nicardipine), and all syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse your needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider about the proper way to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- Do not eat or drink grapefruit while you use Cardene (Nicardipine) unless your doctor directs you too.
- If you miss a dose of Cardene (Nicardipine), use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Cardene (Nicardipine).
What to know before using Cardene (Nicardipine):
If you are using any of the medications below, discuss with your doctor before using Cardene (Nicardipine):
This may not be a complete list. Tell your doctor about all medications you use, including prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor.
If any of the following conditions apply to you, discuss with your doctor before taking or changing your dosage of Cardene (Nicardipine):
- pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- taking any medicines or nutritional products
- have allergies to medicine or food
- have chest pain (agina)
- have or have had congestive heart failure (CHF) or other heart issues
- have adrenal gland problems (ex. pheochomocytoma)
- have liver problems
- have kidney problems
- have low blood pressure
- have had a stroke
- have lung congestion stemming from a heart attack
- have stenosis – advanced narrowing of your aorta
Side effects of Cardene (Nicardipine):
If any of the following symptoms of overdose occur while taking Cardene (Nicardipine), get emergency help immediately:
Symptoms of overdose:
- slurred speech
Stop using Cardene (Nicardipine) and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
Less serious side effects may include:
The information about Cardene (Nicardipine) comes from drugs.com
Cardene (Nicardipine) Natural Alternatives:
If you are taking Cardene (Nicardipine) or other Calcium Channel blockers, the various ingredients in Tikva have been proven through either clinical trials or other research to lower your blood pressure naturally by dilating (widening) the arteries. Tikva has several natural ingredients that help to widen the arteries, so they do not become too narrow.
Several of the ingredients in Tikva can also increase circulation, dissolve plaque that is already in the arteries and reduce new plaque from forming. In addition, there are ingredients in Tikva to help reduce stress that often increases blood pressure without all of the side effects.
Read more about the natural ingredients in Tikva on our research and ingredients page, by clicking here.