Lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril)
What You Should Know
Brand Name: Prinivil, Zestril
What is Lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril)?
The Information about Lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril) contained herein is a compilation of materials available from drugs.com and simplified for the average consumer.
ACE inhibitors prevent an enzyme in your body from producing angiotensin II, a substance in your body that affects your cardiovascular system by narrowing your blood vessels and releasing hormones that can raise your blood pressure.
This narrowing can cause high blood pressure and force your heart to work harder. ACE inhibitors help relax these blood vessels.
There are drug free alternatives to lowering your blood pressure that may be effective for you. Read about them here.
How to use Lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril)
- Take Lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril) as prescribed on your medication bottle. Do not take more or less or for longer than recommended by your doctor.
- Take with a full glass of water with or without food.
- You may need regular blood pressure, kidney and liver tests at your doctors office.
- You may need to briefly stop using Lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril) before having surgery, so discuss with your surgeon.
- It should be stored at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
- If you miss a dose of Lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril), take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
- Vomiting, diarrhea, or heavy sweating can cause you to become dehydrated. This can lead to very low blood pressure, electrolyte disorders, or kidney failure while you are taking Lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril).
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril).
What to know before using Lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril):
Discuss with your doctor if you are taking any of the below medications:
- any blood pressure medications
- gold injections
- potassium supplements
- salt substitutes that contain potassium
- oral insulin or diabetes medications
- NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) such as; ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), naproxen (Aleve), celecoxib, diclofenac, indomethacin, meloxicam, and others; or
If any of the following conditions apply to you, discuss with your doctor before taking Lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril):
- kidney disease (or if you are on dialysis)
- allergy to Lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril) or any other Ace Inhibitor
- liver disease
- connective tissue disease such as Marfan syndrome, Sjogren’s syndrome, lupus, scleroderma, or rheumatoid arthritis
- breast feeding
- Diabetics and those with kidney disease should not use Lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril) together with any medication that contains aliskiren (Amturnide, Tekturna, Tekamlo, Valturna).
Side effects of Lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril):
Stop using Lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril) and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
Less serious side effects may include:
- decreased interest in sexual intercourse
- inability to have or keep an erection
- lack or loss of strength
- loss in sexual ability, desire, drive, or performance
- Acid or sour stomach
- burning, crawling, itching, numbness, prickling, “pins and needles”, or tingling feelings
- feeling of constant movement of self or surroundings
- muscle cramps
- sensation of spinning
- stomach discomfort or upset
The information about Lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril) comes from drugs.com
Lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril) Natural Alternatives:
If you are taking Lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril) or other Ace Inhibitor medications, the various ingredients in Tikva have been proven through either clinical trials or other research to lower your blood pressure naturally by dilating (widening) the arteries. Tikva has several natural ingredients that help to widen the arteries, so they do not become too narrow.
Several of the ingredients in Tikva can also increase circulation, dissolve plaque that is already in the arteries and reduce new plaque from forming. In addition, there are ingredients in Tikva to help reduce stress that often increases blood pressure without all of the side effects.
Read more about the natural ingredients in Tikva on our research and ingredients page, by clicking here.