Prazosin (Minipress) – What You Need To Know
Brand Name: Minipress
What is Prazosin (Minipress)?
The Information about Prazosin (Minipress) contained herein is a compilation of materials available from drugs.com and simplified for the average consumer.
Prazosin also known by the brand name Minipress is an alpha blocker. Alpha blockers relax certain muscles and help small blood vessels remain open. They work by keeping the hormone nor-epinephrine (nor-adrenaline) from tightening the muscles in the walls of smaller arteries and veins.
Prazosin (Minipress) blocks that effect which causes the vessels to remain open and relaxed. This improves blood flow and lowers blood pressure.
There are drug free alternatives to lowering your blood pressure that may be effective for you. Read about them here.
How to use Prazosin (Minipress)
- Take Prazosin (Minipress) with or without food as prescribed on your medication bottle. Do not take more or less or for longer than recommended by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Prazosin (Minipress), take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Prazosin (Minipress).
What to know before using Prazosin (Minipress):
If you are using any of the medications below, discuss with your doctor before using Prazosin (Minipress):
- Phosphodiesterase inhibitors
This may not be a complete list. Tell your doctor about all medications you use, including prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor.
If any of the following apply to you, discuss with your doctor before taking or changing your dosage of Prazosin (Minipress):
- pregnant or breast feeding
- taking prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplements
- allergic to medicines, foods, or other substances
- have chest pain, heart disease, narcolepsy, or kidney problems
- if you will be having eye surgery
- if you will be having medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- avoid engaging in any hazardous tasks for at least 24 hours after taking the first dose, missing several doses, increasing the dose, or taking other high blood pressure medications.
- drink alcohol
What you should know when taking Prazosin (Minipress)
- Prazosin (Minipress) may cause prolonged (more than 4 hours) or painful erections even when not sexually active, which could lead to permanent sexual problems such as impotence. Contact your doctor right away if this happens.
- If you are on high blood pressure medication, you may feel tired or run down for a few weeks after starting Prazosin (Minipress). Be sure to take your medicine even if you may not feel “normal.” Tell your doctor if you develop any new symptoms.
- Prazosin (Minipress) may interfere with certain lab tests, including tests for pheochromocytoma (an adrenal gland tumor). Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking Prazosin (Minipress).
- The ELDERLY may be more sensitive to the side effects of Prazosin (Minipress), so use with caution.
Side effects of Prazosin (Minipress):
Stop using Prazosin (Minipress) and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- Dizziness or lightheadedness, especially when getting up from a lying or sitting position
- fainting (sudden)
- Loss of bladder control
- pounding heartbeat
- swelling of the feet or lower legs
- Chest pain
- trouble breathing
- Painful or prolonged erection of the penis
Less serious side effects may include:
- lack of energy
- Dryness of the mouth
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- Frequent urge to urinate
The information about Prazosin (Minipress) comes from drugs.com
Prazosin (Minipress) Natural Alternatives:
If you are taking Prazosin (Minipress) or other Alpha blockers, the various ingredients in Tikva have been proven through either clinical trials or other research to lower your blood pressure naturally by dilating (widening) the arteries. Tikva has several natural ingredients that help to widen the arteries, so they do not become too narrow.
Several of the ingredients in Tikva can also increase circulation, dissolve plaque that is already in the arteries and reduce new plaque from forming. In addition, there are ingredients in Tikva to help reduce stress that often increases blood pressure without all of the side effects.
Read more about the natural ingredients in Tikva on our research and ingredients page, by clicking here.