What You Should Know
Brand Name: Micardis
What is Telmisartan (Micardis) ?
Angiotensin II is a natural substance in your body that narrows your blood vessels, releases a hormone that increases the amount of sodium and water in your body, and can also thicken and stiffen the walls of your blood vessels and heart.
Telmisartan also known by the brand name Micardis is an Angiotensin II receptor blocker, which helps to stop this damage within the blood vessels.
There are drug free alternatives to lowering your blood pressure that may be effective for you. Read about them here.
How to use Telmisartan (Micardis)
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Telmisartan (Micardis).
- Take Telmisartan (Micardis) at the same time every day by mouth, with or without food and as prescribed on your medication bottle. Do not take more or less or for longer than recommended by your doctor.
- Do not open the blister pack until you are ready to take your Telmisartan (Micardis)
- Do not change your dosage without consulting with your doctor.
- Do not take if you are pregnant, or breast feeding.
- You may need regular lab tests, including blood pressure, blood electrolyte levels, and kidney and liver function, to monitor how you are doing and check for any side effects
- You can easily become dehydrated or get extreme electrolyte imbalance while taking Telmisartan (Micardis), so tell your doctor if have diarrhea or vomiting.
- Store Telmisartan (Micardis) at room temperature away from moisture, heat, and light.
- If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible. Do not double your dose. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule.
Important safety information:
- Contact your doctor immediately if you have swelling in your hands, face, lips, eyes, throat, or tongue; difficulty swallowing or breathing; or hoarseness. This could be a serious side effect called Telmisartan (Micardis) may cause a serious side effect called Angioedema.
- African American patients may not benefit as much from Telmisartan (Micardis).
- If you take salt substitutes or any product with potassium, consult with your doctor while taking Telmisartan (Micardis).
- Before receiving any medical, dental care, emergency care, or surgery speak with your doctor.
- Do not take any products that contain stimulants such as diet pills or cold medicine while taking Telmisartan (Micardis).
What to know before using Telmisartan (Micardis):
If any of the following conditions apply to you, DO NOT TAKE Telmisartan (Micardis):
Diabetics and those with kidney problems should not use Telmisartan (Micardis) with any medication that contains Aliskiren (Amturnide, Tekturna, Tekamlo, Valturna).
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Telmisartan (Micardis)
- you are pregnant or breast feeding
- you are taking Ramipril
Telmisartan (Micardis) may interact with these medical conditions, so speak with your doctor before starting if any of these apply to you.
- can become pregnant, are pregnant or breast feeding.
- taking any medicine, over the counter medicine, or supplements
- any allergies
- history of angioedema of any kind
- history of problems with your heart, blood vessels, blood flow, liver, kidneys, diabetes or gallbladder
- history of stroke or heart attack
- history of dehydration, electrolyte problems, vomiting, diarrhea or are on a low salt diet
- on dialysis
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Telmisartan (Micardis). Discuss with your doctor if you are taking any of the following:
- Potassium-sparing diuretics
- ACE inhibitors
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Other blood pressure medications
- Digoxin or Lithium
This list may not be complete. Speak with your doctor if you are going to take or change your dose of Telmisartan (Micardis).
Side effects of Telmisartan (Micardis):
Discuss with your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
Less serious side effects include:
The information about Telmisartan (Micardis) comes from drugs.com
Telmisartan (Micardis) Natural Alternatives:
If you are taking Telmisartan (Micardis) or other Angiotensin II receptor blockers, the various ingredients in Tikva have been proven through either clinical trials or other research to lower your blood pressure naturally by dilating (widening) the arteries. Tikva has several natural ingredients that help to widen the arteries, so they do not become too narrow.
Several of the ingredients in Tikva can also increase circulation, dissolve plaque that is already in the arteries and reduce new plaque from forming. In addition, there are ingredients in Tikva to help reduce stress that often increases blood pressure without all of the side effects.
Read more about the natural ingredients in Tikva on our research and ingredients page, by clicking here.