Tenex (Guanfacine) – What You Should Know
Brand Names: Tenex, Intuniv
Generic Name: Guanfacine
What is Tenex (Guanfacine)?
The Information about Tenex (Guanfacine) contained herein is a compilation of materials available from drugs.com and simplified for the average consumer.
Central alpha-agonists are drugs that lower your heart rate and reduce your blood pressure by preventing your brain from sending signals to your nervous system to speed up the heart rate and narrow the blood vessels. As a result, your heart doesn’t pump as hard and your blood flows more easily through your blood vessels.
There are drug free alternatives to lowering your blood pressure that may be effective for you. Read about them here.
How to use Tenex (Guanfacine)
- Take as prescribed on your medication bottle. Do not take more or less or for longer than recommended by your doctor.
- If Tenex (Guanfacine) causes you to be drowsy, you may need to take your dose in the evening.
- Do not crush, chew or break open your medication before taking.
- Your doctor may need to check your blood pressure and heart rate frequently when taking Tenex (Guanfacine).
- Do not stop taking suddenly, as this could cause serious side effects.
- Do not drink alcohol when taking Tenex (Guanfacine)
- Store at room temperature away from heat, moisture and light.
- If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible. If it is close to the time that you should take your next dose, skip it and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not double your dose. If you miss two doses in a row, contact your doctor for best usage instructions.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Tenex (Guanfacine).
What to know before using Tenex (Guanfacine):
If you are using any of the medications below, discuss with your doctor before using Tenex (Guanfacine):
- sleeping pills
- narcotic pain medicines
- muscle relaxers
- anxiety medicine
- medicine for seizures
- other blood pressure medications
- any other medicine containing Guanfacine
This may not be a complete list. Tell your doctor about all medications you use, including prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor.
If any of the following conditions apply to you, discuss with your doctor before taking or changing your dosage of Tenex (Guanfacine):
- pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- heart disease or blockage
- coronary artery disease
- history of stroke
- low blood pressure
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- recent heart attack
Side effects of Tenex (Guanfacine):
If any of the following symptoms of overdose occur while taking Tenex (Guanfacine), get emergency help immediately:
- Dizziness (extreme) or faintness
- unusual tiredness or weakness (severe)
- difficult breathing
- swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat
Stop using Tenex (Guanfacine) and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
Less serious side effects may include:
Side effects that may stay with you after discontinuing Tenex, Intuniv or Guanfacine. If you notice any of the following side effects after you stop using your medication, check with your doctor immediately.
- Anxiety or tenseness
- increased salivation
- nervousness or restlessness
- shaking or trembling of the hands and fingers
- stomach cramps
The information about Tenex (Guanfacine) comes from drugs.com
Tenex (Guanfacine) Natural Alternatives:
If you are taking Tenex (Guanfacine) or other Central alpha-agonists, the various ingredients in Tikva have been proven through either clinical trials to lower your blood pressure naturally by dilating (widening) the arteries. Tikva has several natural ingredients that help to widen the arteries, so they do not become too narrow. Rather than just slowing down your heart rate and making you tired.
Several of the ingredients in Tikva can also increase circulation, dissolve plaque that is already in the arteries and reduce new plaque from forming. In addition, there are ingredients in Tikva to help reduce stress that often increases blood pressure without all of the side effects.
Read more about the natural ingredients in Tikva by clicking here.