Terazosin (Hytrin) – What You Need To Know
Brand Name: Hytrin
What is Terazosin (Hytrin)?
The Information about Terazosin (Hytrin) contained herein is a compilation of materials available from drugs.com and simplified for the average consumer.
Terazosin also known by the brand name Hytrin is an alpha blocker. Alpha blockers relax certain muscles and help small blood vessels remain open. They work by keeping the hormone nor-epinephrine (nor-adrenaline) from tightening the muscles in the walls of smaller arteries and veins.
Terazosin (Hytrin) blocks that effect which causes the vessels to remain open and relaxed. This improves blood flow and lowers blood pressure.
There are drug free alternatives to lowering your blood pressure that may be effective for you. Read about them here.
How to use Terazosin (Hytrin)
- Take Terazosin (Hytrin) as prescribed on your medication bottle. Do not take more or less or for longer than recommended by your doctor.
- Your doctor may change your dosage to maintain best results or if you stop taking it for any period of time.
- You may need to visit your doctor for regular blood pressure or prostate exams.
- Terazosin (Hytrin) should be stored at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
- If you miss a dose of Terazosin (Hytrin), take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
- Contact your doctor if you miss several days in a row.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Terazosin (Hytrin).
What to know before using Terazosin (Hytrin):
If you are using any of the medications below, discuss with your doctor before using Terazosin (Hytrin):
- sildenafil (Viagra, Revatio)
- tadalafil (Cialis)
- vardenafil (Levitra)
- verapamil (Calan, Covera, Isoptin, Verelan)
- other blood pressure medications
This may not be a complete list. Tell your doctor about all medications you use, including prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor.
If any of the following conditions apply to you, discuss with your doctor before taking or changing your dosage of Terazosin (Hytrin):
- history of prostate cancer
- are having cataract surgery
Side effects of Terazosin (Hytrin):
Stop using Terazosin (Hytrin) and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- Chest pain
- dizziness or lightheadedness when getting up from a lying or sitting position
- fainting (sudden)
- fast or irregular heartbeat
- pounding heartbeat
- shortness of breath
- swelling of feet or lower legs
- Weight gain
Less serious side effects may include:
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- Back or joint pain
- blurred vision
- nausea and vomiting
- stuffy nose
The information about Terazosin (Hytrin) comes from drugs.com
Terazosin (Hytrin) Natural Alternatives:
If you are taking Terazosin (Hytrin) or other Alpha blockers, the various ingredients in Tikva have been proven through either clinical trials or other research to lower your blood pressure naturally by dilating (widening) the arteries. Tikva has several natural ingredients that help to widen the arteries, so they do not become too narrow.
Several of the ingredients in Tikva can also increase circulation, dissolve plaque that is already in the arteries and reduce new plaque from forming. In addition, there are ingredients in Tikva to help reduce stress that often increases blood pressure without all of the side effects.
Read more about the natural ingredients in Tikva on our research and ingredients page, by clicking here.
Share this article with someone you care about
by clicking one of the sharing buttons below.
The information provided on this page should not be used to decide whether or not to take Terazosin (Hytrin) or any other medicine. Consult your doctor to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition.
This information about Terazosin (Hytrin) is a brief summary and does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Terazosin (Hytrin).
This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must speak with your doctor for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Terazosin (Hytrin).