Catapres (Clonidine) – What You Should Know
Brand Name: Catapres
Generic Name: Clonidine
What is Catapres (Clonidine)?
The Information about Catapres (Clonidine) contained herein is a compilation of materials available from drugs.com and simplified for the average consumer.
Central alpha-agonists are drugs that lower your heart rate and reduce your blood pressure by preventing your brain from sending signals to your nervous system to speed up the heart rate and narrow the blood vessels. As a result, your heart doesn’t pump as hard and your blood flows more easily through your blood vessels.
There are drug free alternatives to lowering your blood pressure that may be effective for you. Read about them here.
How to use Catapres (Clonidine)
- Take as prescribed on your medication bottle. Do not take more or less or for longer than recommended by your doctor.
- Catapres (Clonidine) is typically taken in the morning and evening. Sometimes you will be given different dosages. If so, take the larger dose in the evening.
- There are multiple types of Catapres (Clonidine), such as pills, patch. etc… Do not take more than one type at a time.
- If you are scheduled for surgery, discuss with your surgeon as you may need to discontinue use for a short period of time.
- Do not drink alcohol when taking Catapres (Clonidine)
- Store at room temperature away from heat, moisture and light.
- If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible. If it is close to the time that you should take your next dose, skip it and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not double your dose.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Catapres (Clonidine).
What to know before using Catapres (Clonidine):
If you are using any of the medications below, discuss with your doctor before using Catapres (Clonidine):
- sleeping pills
- narcotic pain medicines
- muscle relaxers
- anxiety medicine
- medicine for seizures
- other blood pressure medications
- any other medicine containing Clonidine
This may not be a complete list. Tell your doctor about all medications you use, including prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor.
If any of the following conditions apply to you, discuss with your doctor before taking or changing your dosage of Catapres (Clonidine):
- pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- heart disease or severe coronary artery disease
- heart rhythm disorder
- slow heartbeats
- low blood pressure
- history of fainting
- previous heart attacks or strokes
- pheochromocytoma (tumor of the adrenal gland);
- kidney disease
- allergic to Catapres TTS skin patch.
Side effects of Catapres (Clonidine):
If any of the following symptoms of overdose occur while taking Catapres (Clonidine), get emergency help immediately:
Symptoms of overdose:
- Dangerously high blood pressure followed by low blood pressure
- extreme headaches
- pounding in neck or ears
- chest pain
- feeling cold
- feeling extremely weak or tired
- shortness of breath
- pinpoint pupil dilation
Stop using Catapres (Clonidine) and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
Less serious side effects may include:
The information about Catapres (Clonidine) comes from drugs.com
Catapres (Clonidine) Natural Alternatives:
If you are taking Catapres (Clonidine) or other Central alpha-agonists, the various ingredients in Tikva have been proven through either clinical trials to lower your blood pressure naturally by dilating (widening) the arteries. Tikva has several natural ingredients that help to widen the arteries, so they do not become too narrow. Rather than just slowing down your heart rate and making you tired.
Several of the ingredients in Tikva can also increase circulation, dissolve plaque that is already in the arteries and reduce new plaque from forming. In addition, there are ingredients in Tikva to help reduce stress that often increases blood pressure without all of the side effects.
Read more about the natural ingredients in Tikva by clicking here.